Purchase Your Fishing License
General Fishing Licenses (View residency qualifications)
|Type||Resident Fee||Nonresident Fee|
valid one full year (365 days)
from the date of purchase
|$25 (ages 16-69)
$5 (ages 70+)<
Free/Reduced Fee & Lifetime Licenses
You may qualify for a free/reduced fee annual fishing license if you are:
For information on required documents and qualifications click the links below. In most instances, you must be a New York resident
- Active duty military
- Military veteran with 40% or greater disability
- Senior citizen (70 years or older)
- Legally blind
- Non-resident student attending a New York State college or university full-time
- Lifetime Licenses: Fish for life with a lifetime license! Available to residents only.
You need a fishing license if you are 16 years and older and fishing for:
- Freshwater fish species by angling, spearing, hooking, longbow, and tip-ups.
- Frog species by spearing, catching with the hands or by use of a club or hook.
- Freshwater baitfish for personal use.
You do not need a fishing license if you are:
- Fishing on a licensed fishing preserve
- Fishing during the free fishing weekend
- Fishing at a free fishing clinic
- A resident landowner primarily engaged in farming (including lessees and members of their immediate families) when fishing on farm lands they are occupying and cultivating.
- A farm fish pond license holder (including members of their immediate families) fishing on waters covered by the license.
- A Native American living and fishing on reservation land.
- A patient residing at a qualifying U.S. Veterans Administration hospital or facility in New York State.
More information can be found at The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation website.
Click here for updated information on New York Fresh Water Fishing Regulations.